Monday, March 7, 2011

Charlie - Dj and Web designer based in China and a huge passion for travel

I'm Charlie, a 29 year old designer, music producer, and DJ.


1) Tell something about your life before and the reasons why you have become location independent.
I got bored of living in my hometown and experiencing the same things over and over. After too much repetition, I wanted something different. Completely different. China was the most different place I could think of, so I went there.


2) How did you plan a new life as a location independent?
I didn't really have much of a plan. I just went. After I arrived I found many more opportunities than I had imagined.


3) What is your job or source of travels funding?
I spent years DJ'ing and doing freelance web design and development. The last 8 months I've been working with a small but talented group of engineers, developing iPhone and iPad applications.



4) Which countries have you been?
Over 30 in total, but the ones that I know best are China, Japan, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, etc.


5) What are the places you have loved more? and why?
I like China because I feel like I'm witnessing something incredible. Thailand is my other favorite place, everyone's friendly, the food is great, the landscape incredible, and it just feels magical when you get off the tourist trail.


6) Is there any curiosity or episode occurred during your trips that you want to tell us?
Countless episodes in China before I learned Chinese. I used to think it was really weird when strangers wanted to meet me or say hello to me in the street. It turns out that many people are fascinated by foreigners. What they like, how they live, etc.


7) Is there any difficulty that you've to face in your travels? how did you get it?
It's difficult being away from your native culture for being a long time. But overall I think the difficulties are less than than the advantages. Usually it's not difficult.


8) Can you tell us what happens when you are going to leave for a trip? (emotions, sensations, but also how you can organize a trip in practical termsand and how you choose a destination)
It depends on the trip. Normally I don't plan much. As in, I might not know where I'm going exactly, or for how long I'll be there. I like to embrace the uncertainty of international travel and just go with the flow. Sometimes you get to a place and you have a feeling that you like the place and want to learn more about it and not leave right away. I like having that power. Usually, the things you worry about will never happen.


9) Has the confront between many places and different cultures taught you something in particular?
Don't take life too seriously. Always be learning and growing, advancing your understanding of the world and yourself.


10) Why do you think someone should decide to become a location independent?
It's not for everyone. But for those who it is for, I think you'll get a sense of that before long.


11) Do you think that anyone could become a location independent? and what is required to become one?
A lot of people wouldn't want it. It's not for everyone. It requires responsibility, since you'll have to take care of yourself, and independence, since you'll be spending in an unfamiliar place. More than anything though, it requires the guts to do it. It's easy to talk about leaving, but few people will actually do it. The first time you leave, that leap of faith, is the most difficult obstacle.


12) Do you want to say anything else to the readers of this blog?
You can only plan and theorize for so long. Get out there and take action because the life you want won't be given to you. You have to take it.


Web Site: www.chengduliving.com

No comments:

Post a Comment